How To Engage
If you have a story, you have the power to influence policymakers.
Policy change is one major way we can make a difference in the lives of people living with mental health conditions and their families. NAMI Texas advocates for an array of issues including:
We maintain an active presence in the Texas State Capitol on priority issues with relationships on both sides of the aisle. We make our voice heard in the state agencies to guide the effective implementation of mental health policy. And we empower our local affiliate organizations and members to step up on advocacy.
NEW: Check out the NAMI Texas Advocacy 101 Guide. This guide can help you learn about how to engage in policy advocacy as an individual in Texas.
Take a NAMI Smarts for Advocacy course
NAMI SMARTS for Advocacy is a hands-on advocacy training program that helps people living with mental illness, friends and family transform their passion and lived experience into skillful grassroots advocacy. This course teaches you how to share your story in a way that moves policy makers. The NAMI SMARTS for Advocacy course vastly enhances the power of mental health advocacy. Contact your local NAMI affiliate about opportunities to take a NAMI Smarts course. Please contact us if you are interested in bringing a NAMI SMARTS Advocacy course to your community!
#Vote4MentalHealth In Texas
From health care to the economy to criminal justice and more, mental health touches many of the issues that you might care about the most. When you cast your ballot, you #Vote4MentalHealth, whether you realize it or not.
You can find more information on where to vote at http://vote411.org.
Mental Health for US
NAMI is affiliated with Mental Health for US, a national nonpartisan educational initiative focused on elevating mental health and addiction in national policy. Mental Health for US published candidate questionnaires from the presidential candidates. You can read their answers here.
The 87th Texas state legislature is less than a year away. Legislation moves quickly, but we can help you keep up with the bills impacting mental health in Texas.
CLICK HERE to view the bills we championed in the last legislative session.
Peruse our bill list and position indicators to read about mental health legislation. Follow our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn about current mental health issues and bill progress during session. Contact your local Affiliate or contact us to get Advocacy Alerts straight from the source!
NAMI Texas Action Alerts
Take action on critical mental health issues affecting Texans and contact your lawmakers today through the NAMI action center here.
Past NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletters
We send up-to-date advocacy emails to our mailing list of NAMI Texas advocates at least twice a month. You can find many of our previous newsletters here, and sign up to receive the emails through our action center.
- NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletter – March 31, 2020
- NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletter – March 17, 2020
- NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletter – February 29, 2020
- NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletter – February 14, 2020
- NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletter – February 7, 2020
- NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletter – January 30, 2020
- NAMI Texas Advocacy Newsletter – January 24, 2020
NAMI Texas Bill Positions
House Public Education Bills Championed by NAMI Texas
NAMI TX Legislative-Proposal Position List 3.20.2019
Past Legislative Session Recaps
- 2017 Legislative Session – Mental Health Policy Highlights
- NAMI Texas Bill Position Indicator – 85th Legislature (March 30, 2017)
- NAMI Texas Bill List – 84th Legislature (June 24, 2015)
- Recap report of legislation from the 84th session of the Texas Legislature
- Recap report of budget items from the 84th session of the Texas Legislature
NAMI.Org Advocacy Tool
NAMI has made it easy to let your elected representatives hear your voice on the issues that matter most to you. With NAMI.org’s advocacy tool, you can:
- Select from a list of national issues, or choose one of your own.
- Choose the elected officials you want to voice your opinion to, from the President on down
- Send an email, letter, or fax using messages provided by NAMI, or compose one of your own.
Go to NAMI.org and make your voice heard today!
(Sign-in or free registration required)